'07 Toyota Yaris Project and other Yaris related nonsense

Thanks! Yea the grey car is getting pretty close to being “done” as far as a daily goes. I’d really like to get some very slight lowering springs and an exhaust on it and there’s a few smaller projects: non stop tuning underdrive pulleys (ive had a set of purple ones for like a year and I don’t want to put them on the black car because purple isn’t it’s color. Cars are stupid… or maybe it’s just me) a scion xD alternator that puts out more amps, and a nst upgraded water pump and it will be ‘done’.

Longer term, more and more guys are doing 1zr full blown 100% bolt on scion XD engine swaps and that sounds amazing, and I keep hoping I’ll come across a beat up but mechanically sound XD, or the front half of one from a junk yard. There was a post on /r/Yaris about a guy who did the swap and it’s apparently stupidly easy.

the body and engine bay is willing but the wallet is spongy and bruised

As for the black car, 1zz throttle bodies, and the joys of modern drive-by-wire systems, apparently even the 2az Camry/Scion TC throttle bodies will bolt up and plug right into the stock Yaris intake manifold, but you physically have to add material to the throat of the manifold to bore the intake out to the diameter of the 2AZ TB but even without porting it’s a net positive of volume of air over stock. Across the same generation of Toyota engines all the throttle bodies have the same spacing for the bolts and same connectors. The only thing that’s really different about them is the inside diameter of the TB and angle of the coolant hookups that go through the TB but I bypassed those lines and will probably cut the hard lines off my 1zz TB. The general consensus online is running the 1zz TB with the stock 1zz electronics introduces a slight lag in the response between when the gas pedal is pushed and the throttle plate opens, and ain’t nobody got time for that, so I swapped it.

I’m really itching to get this car done and on the street and seeing the difference between the stock ATX 1nz in the grey car and the modified one in the black car with the 5 speed. With all these 50 degree days we’ve been having, a garage heater and a few extra layers of clothes I might be able to have it out by spring…