Die Cast Restomads [ Hot Wheels / Matchbox ]

On a whim, I’ve started refurbishing Hot Wheels.

Way, way back when P was barely speaking, a young couple left a Datsun 510 under the table when they left the steakhouse. I couldn’t just leave it there, so I grabbed it. It pops up from time to time and I give it a spin. When it surfaced recently, it was missing paint and had a bent axle.

I started scratching flaky paint off and thought, “People strip and customize these…”





It took me a couple tries to find the right bit, but I got it apart.

And then I started sanding. At first, with a bit of 80 grit sandpaper and a small file.


Someone on Instagram suggested 400-600 grit foam to smooth things out further.

I thought, “If 400-600 grit is good, 800-1000 grit should be better…”

And that’s where we are today. Pretty significant progress for a week of picking at it a few minutes at a time as I find myself in the garage for other things. I need to feel a greater sense of progress right now. Just imagine if I’d used paint stripper instead of manually sanding/scraping everything at Step 1!

I might be turning into more of a scale car guy.

2 Likes