The Rooster — LayneWorks F250 Shop Truck

I wouldn’t call myself an expert, but I have some experience on this front.

Wasn’t long after I bought Rocinante, c.2012-13, that I realized he was wearing the same Geolandar M/Ts in the picture of the previous owner running Hackberry Creek—with a time stamp on the scanned photo dated 2007.

They didn’t have much tread left on them when I got them, but I daily drove for several months. Managed to make it all the way from I-17 to Seven Springs on Table Mesa, aired down, only to have one of them shred on me the minute we hit pavement.

This was a bone dry, Phoenix truck, though. YMMV up where there are seasons.

If I were in your shoes, I’d probably spray them down with a good UV protectant maybe quarterly, hit the backsides during rotations, and hide them from the sun, should you be leaving it parked for a few months to travel this summer.

Hope this helps.

1 Like

PS: Look at you with your low miles. :stuck_out_tongue:

Oh sweet, far better than expected. I was just hoping to get through the next few (urgent) Homey-D runs and maybe make them last until I lower the truck. Forgot to mention they are not leaking at all, nor showing any other signs of degradation.

Yeah, an average 5,600 mile-year for it’s life so far…gotta love local service trucks. :joy:

1 Like

Methinks you’ll be fine. If nothing else, throw a small compressor and a can of slime in a Harbor Freight bag behind the seat, right?

185,517.8 miles

Well, that was short. It may be a bit before I continue the build on the Rooster because…it just doesn’t urgently need anything else (and it’s got work to do this summer). Guess that means I’ll have to start the Discovery and Forester build threads Brian was asking me for… :smiley:

After finishing the post-winter cleanup and loading up the truck with all the debris it completed a successful dump run, followed by a Home Depot run, with no drama whatsoever. Official project starting weight: 5,800 pounds with me (180), a small toolkit, and no spare tire (I have one, took it out this trip to ease clean-up of the bed after dumping debris).

Interior Inspection (and a little cleanup)

With the mechanicals sorted, I’ve turned my attention to the interior and finally taken a shop vac to all the things (it’s not sticky, just stained). Full restoration will definitely require all new carpet and a new headliner, probably a new steering wheel, possibly new door cards. The ash tray needs some work, but I think it can be fixed instead of replaced. And ArmorAll, lots of ArmorAll…I might just preemptively add a dash cover to preserve the perfect condition dash.

The only two rust spots of any concern are actually visible from either side of the rear seat as well; access is good from both sides and panels are cheap, so I’m not too worried about cutting them out and replacing them when the time comes. While cleaning up the rear of the cab I found the rear passenger seat belts completely intact. I also changed my mind and decided to keep the rear bench seat; I’d forgotten that it flips over and lays completely flat with a metal cover when you need the cargo space. Nevermind the chrome windshield trim, I just had it off to get the windshield replaced.

One thing still really bothers me, especially now that all the rattles are gone: no music. There’s a serious lack of decent (and reliable) radio stations here in Prescott, so I took a trip downtown to hit up the antique shops and remedy the situation. It just looks right sitting on the side of Main Street.

Turns out cassettes aren’t old enough to be considered “antique,” but thankfully the cowboy running the shop—and I do mean decked out head to toe six-gun at his side spittin’ image of Sam Elliot cowboy—knew exactly where to go: regular old thrift shops. The first three were slim pickings, with Gloria Estefan and Michael Bolton being the least detestable options. Thankfully the final store had some Waylon, Willie, and Straight on hand.

I had to trim the bass into the negatives to get any semblance of clear sound. I have exactly zero-point-five of an intact speaker, and it’s on the right side. :confused:

2 Likes

Love this! You can still find cassette adapters at Walmart too, so you can stream Spotify et al into the Rooster any time you like!

The build is looking great.

Tires… My opinion is you are driving on a ticking time bomb. At the very least a pop gun. I’ve seen my share of dry rotted tires. Probably a third of the rigs I’ve gotten from Japan had decent looking tires until you got up close. The first experience with this was a set of winters that I just wanted to get the “one winter” out of. One came apart on a gravel road, at speed, and I decided then and there that if the tire was old enough to show signs of weathering, I wouldn’t run it anymore.

Check the tread very closely. If the separation is only showing in the sidewalls, and it appears shallow, and you’re judicious with checking pressures, and you’re not doing gravel, and you’re not hitting the interstate for hours… THEN I might risk it for a season.

Sorry. I’m pretty conservative when it comes to tires. Well, maybe everything. I’ve made many mistakes, and try to learn from all. Sometimes I’ve “learned” twice. :kissing_closed_eyes:

2 Likes

It’s only in the sidewalls, but I don’t even want to risk it for a full season. Now the question is: do I use the need for new tires as justification to order the lowering kit and wheels now, because, replacing tires again well before they rot would just be wasteful, right? :smiley:

2 Likes

Sounds like logical justification to me. If your significant other is like mine she just rolls her eyes when you present your case because she knows you’ve already made up your mind, and she’s heard it all before anyways…

2 Likes

YAAASSS.

Also, I have two cassettes if you want:

• a Stabbing Westward single
  • 1989 Mitsubishi Galant features

I’ll bring both up the hill with me next time.

1 Like

I’d check the date code on the tires and see how old they are. Heavy duty e rated tires like you have can handle a little more but @PajEvo is right it’s a bit like a ticking time bomb. Plus, you gotta remember when you’re on the highway and those tires are hot the pressure is only gonna go up. I’d say it might be good to look into new tires.

1 Like

Fortunately the highest speed limit I’ll see in the truck is 50 MPH, and the longest A-to-B distance is under 5 miles. I still don’t feel right about it though, so new tires next time I run to Home Depot (the tire shop is right next to Homey-D). The cheapest E-rated are under $400 for four and should buy us at least another year.

185,525.6 miles

Guess what works on my 33 year old Ford and doesn’t work on her 21 year old Subaru? Took the truck to Cocktails & Canvas because it’s cold up here and the truck will send heat toward more than just the windshield. That, and a '99 Outback just doesn’t have that small town photogenic and we wanted to play with cameras after a few drinks and a few paintings.

The driver’s side speaker started working about an hour after the rain started, so I’ll be tearing into the doors next. I just can’t abide anything electric that alters it’s behavior on account of the weather.

I should probably call a locksmith too since I only received a single square key with the truck. (Ford guys will remember the square key is the ignition, the round keys are the doors. I can’t lock the truck because I’ll never get it unlocked…glad we live in Prescott where we never need to lock the doors.)

2 Likes

Time to shave the handles and go with door poppers, then. Perhaps an airbrushed mural on the hood? :stuck_out_tongue:

1 Like

Love that shot @ChazzLayne. Wife’s car wouldnt have had the same effect. Good call.

Sooooo nice to be able to have a key cut and walk away, eh? No immobilizers, fobs, masters, valets, etc to worry about. Just… Round or square. Part of me misses that simplicity. Right up until I have to unlock my doors and everything’s frozen… Lol.

2 Likes

I’d been waiting until any one of the many projects now in progress on the Rooster was finished so I could do a more complete update on the work thus far, but it seems every time I open up something to work on it there’s some little do-hickey I need. Normally I’d just spend an extra 20 minutes picking it up, but these days we’re at the mercy of Pandemic Express (normally overnight or 2-day service now multi-week). So…multi-part it is. Prologue:

185,567.7 miles

New tires

I’m pleasantly surprised with the cheapest E-rated tire I could find. They look beefier than the photos on the web, ride nice and smooth/quiet, and still have good traction in the mud portion of my driveway despite being “Highway Terrain.” I stuck with the current LT265/75R16 since new wheels and a lowering kit are a ways off (and little tires look stupid on a tall truck).

New Noise

I need a little help identifying this one. I know this sound from a Ford, it’s just been so long I can’t remember WTF it was. My first thought goes to wheel bearings, but I think the last time I heard this from a Ford it was the transmission (auto). It’s the buzzing that sounds like a WWII fighter, most noticeable around 6 seconds where I slow for the light…any thoughts?
(Not the tires, the noise was present before I replaced them.)

Back to doing truck things, but first…

Sir Clax-a-Lot needs to GTFO! The carcass has finally been stripped of everything useful, except the glass (which I don’t have a good way to store). Next stop: the crusher. The Disco is beginning to think I only love it when I need a winch.

Doing Truck Things

With 3.5 vehicle projects simultaneously going on, and three of them involving completely stripping interiors, temporarily permanent storage was becoming a big issue. Making matters worse, I keep getting called up for more aerial work so progress is regularly paused for 1-2 months at a time with too-short breaks in between (not that I’m complaining, I did volunteer). Parts have been sitting all over the house—filling up the gym, kitchen, and my studio. None of this stuff is particularly valuable or desirable to the common thief, but it needs to be kept out of the weather, so when Harbor Freight was having an ubersale in February I finally gave in and picked up a “portable” shed…cheap.

I might be spending too much time around helicopters, I’ve developed an obsession with vehicle-sized dollys and having everything on wheels. In any case, the lumber is all two feet longer than I need for the upcoming workshop build, so in a couple years it’ll all get upcycled into that project. Waste not…

Portable shed is Portable.

3 Likes

No idea on that noise. Can’t really discern it from the video.

Have you tried shifting into neutral when coasting to stops to disconnect the transmission from vehicle speed? If the noise goes away, it might mean the transmission is involved. Maybe it’s a lockdown cable adjustment or something?

1 Like

Never underestimate the ability of an old truck to invent new projects to keep you entertained, and then to distract you from those projects with other random things you discover on the way.

185,617.8 miles

New Stereo…Chapter 1

I couldn’t take it anymore. Between the driver’s side speaker cutting in and out, and the tape deck’s fondness of getting stuck in an infinite auto-reverse loop every 0.6 song, I knew the time had come. Crutchfield had an open box deal on a single-din Pioneer “digital media receiver,” which suits me since I carry all of my music on my phone. I paired it with a reasonably priced pair Kickers (finally, I get to put Kickers in a project :grin:).

Remember back when they used to put thought and style into TV ads? This was my introduction to Pioneer, I’ve been biased toward them ever since. I’m especially fond of being able to turn off ALL of the gimicky nonsense, match the color to the interior lighting, and dial in the equalizer exactly how I want it on even the basest of base models.

Off with the driver’s side door panel, where I immediately understood why the speaker cut in and out, and why it sounded like a tin-roofed shithouse. I just can’t fathom why they needed all that extra wire when there was plenty of slack on the stock wiring to get access and crimp on some connectors (or solder to the speaker). Perhaps it was the same reason they stuck a 4" speaker in a 6" hole? Like the wire was already attached to the speaker and they only had a couple of twist connectors on hand?

The passenger side wasn’t much better off, but at least it was the correct size. Again, the reason for the overpowering static that happened if I didn’t suck all of the bass out of the music was immediately obvious. I don’t think I’ve ever seen a pair of speakers in worse condition. The stock wiring, however, was pretty okay so I scrapped my plan to completely replace all of it and just added the necessary connectors instead.

Shop vac, soap, and water. Inside and out. I also discovered the passenger side window had been worked on previously, as obvious by the holes drilled through the door panel right where the forums recommend. That could prove interesting when I go to replace what I assumed was a bad window regulator…

This is the first time I’ve ever had a bad experience with Crutchfield. I’ve ordered more head units with wiring kits from them than I’ve had cars and they’ve been perfect every time. This time around the pin-out at the truck end was completely wrong and the two large standard-Pioneer plugs fit nowhere on this unit’s single micro-plug interface. Lucky wiring doesn’t scare me, and Pioneer included their own pigtail for me to wire up. I kept the rear wiring (green/purple) intact and capped off just in case I want to add rear speakers down the road.

Amazing how small these things get when you scrap all the moving parts.

It’s only a stereo. It doesn’t even have rear speakers, literally a stereo. Connect the left speaker, right speaker, antenna, constant power, ignition power, dimmer, and ground. Pop the trim plate back on and you’re done. An hour tops, right?

Nope…

3 Likes

Possible, I’ll give that a try next time I drive it. I’ll finally have a functioning gear indicator too…

1 Like

My go-to in the last few vehicles has been Pioneer decks with Infinity speakers. Tried Alpine, Sony, Kenwood, and others, but the Pioneers always deliver.

Gotta have tunes!

1 Like

It’s entirely possible I watch too much Sarah-n-Tuned, or maybe obsessive cleaning behavior over parts no one will ever see is just a sign of giving a shit. Either way, what should be an hour-long stereo install turned into three days and resulted in the entire dash area being restored to showroom-good (with the exception of a little tasteful patina).

Still 185,617.8 miles…

New Stereo: Chapter 2

Flashback to the first day of the stereo install: I sat in the truck to pull the old stereo, but just kept fiddling with the bald spot on the steering wheel where the leather’s worn through. Remembering a naked wheel I saw on a recent junkyard trip, the idle fiddling turned into peeling and slicing with a hook knife to reveal what looks like a perfect condition thinner-style wheel from generations past. I was going to ignore that bald spot and swap the steering wheel for some fancy chrome-and-leather number—that’s still the plan, but now it can wait much longer.

The decades-thick but to-be-expected layer of dust resting in the stereo’s cavity led to shop vac time. Shop vac time led to the removal of other dash panels. The removal of other dash panels led to the removal of the entire gauge cluster. The removal of the gauge cluster led to the ordering of LEDs, which led to the removal of the HVAC controls and more LEDs. And the glove box, and the ash tray, and more LEDs. And a trip to the junk yard to raid the blue-on-blue '88 F-250 they just got. Oh, and more LEDs.

In the end the entire dash was stripped down to the base and vacuumed out, and every removable panel brought in the house and thoroughly scrubbed clean inside and out. Every panel, every vent, every knob and control. The same with donor parts from Junkyard Blue. That photo above is pre-wash…

A bullnose Bronco was kind enough to give up it’s shift indicator. It’s previous-generation transmission is set up differently, a 3-speed auto with overdrive, but it matters not. Physically the dimensions and movements are identical, and the entire component is modular, which makes it relatively simple to remove the good parts from the Bronco’s indicator and repair my 4-speed OD indicator. I might have also completely disassembled the gauge cluster and cleaned it while I was in there.

Did I mention LEDs? 24 of them in total so far, and I’ve only replaced the dash. Still to come: both map lights, dome light, all four corners, both license lamps, all five roof markers, and the bed light. I picked up warm white as this is a restomod in the spirit of the original, with emphasis on reliability and longevity. Stock colors, just a bit brighter and ready for another decade of work. Long gone are the days of polarity-sensitive retrofits, thankfully, just plug and play. The little guys bottom left are 30-lumen for the direct-viewed indicator lamps, and on the right a 95-lumen boost for the 80’s era “fiber optics.” In hindsight, 60-70 lumens would have been just right for the optics.

I was able to save an intact temperature control cable from the crusher, but not the one that controls airflow direction. Fortunately, Junkyard Blue had another secret to reveal: a relatively obvious and practically free zip-tie fix. They kinda worked before, but felt squishy; now both controls are nice and crisp.

Clean on clean on clean on clean. Oh, and a transmission in park now indicates a transmission in park.

Next up, Dani insisted on treating everything to a bath in this magical UV-blocking restoration potion she used on her car’s interior. Flashbacks to greasy, dust-clinging Armor-All nightmares had me reluctant at first, but after witnessing the beautiful condition of the Outback’s residue- and dust-free interior I caved. Sure enough the blues, blacks, and browns are popping again and there’s no greasy residue. We’ll see how it deals with dust after I pull the headliner.

Before you ask, yes, I took night shots of the LEDs… :grin:

4 Likes

Oh man… Looks amazing… I need to find a new dash for my dad’s 94…

1 Like