Galant VR4 801/2k Restomod

Tank replacement was in 2018
Untitled by Andrew Pascarella, on Flickr

Got rid of this weird sump

2 Likes

by Andrew Pascarella, on Flickr

Even the seemingly magic JIS screws were no match for the Mitsubishi cheese head screws.

There was a lot of swearing, a dremel tool and eventually a drill press to bust the head off. Then a small punch on one of the burs helped to turn it out.

3 Likes

Shaft seals were pretty toasty. It wasn’t a total waste.

Used some Stainless allen head screws with a dab of blue loctite.

Once I got it back together, added a new TPS sensor and then figured out that my throttle cable somehow tightened up and then loosened it. Car ran/runs fantastic.

3 Likes

The big thing that had been driving me crazy was an exhaust leak. At first, It looked to me like the gaskets on either side of the converter where toast. They had some evidence of leaks. I really didn’t want it to be the flex pipe. I started there because it’s pretty easy to change them. It’s a CMP exhaust and not that old, so not wasn’t really rusty.

Pretty bad, but I still had a leak…

3 Likes

Turns out the flex was bad, I suspected as much. It’s been bottomed out and eventually it gave up. I was worried about trying to weld it myself. I’d taken a basics class in 2019, but I lacked confidence. I cut it and cleaned the metal up real nice and did my best to weld it. While doing that, I noticed the 02 to downpipe gasket was junk too. Probably causing a bit of a leak there as well. right were you don’t want it to mess up the mixture at the Oxygen sensor.

5 Likes

Ah, man. Everybody’s welding but me these days.

That exhaust repair is/was legit, bruh. You’re seriously making me want another one…

I’m like OK at welding. Still not super confident, welding my ADD bumper for the Montero will be stressful to start.

2 Likes

I wanted to weld mine up but we ran out of time.

Love it, though. Think you will too.