Land Cruiser 90 Series - making me a newb again!

Dude. That actually looks easy too. I’m jellies.

Here’s the solenoid, if anyone else is interested in a cheap/easy dual battery setup:

Man… That is super reasonable price too! My problem is I’m just out of room with the trooper, I’d need to look at putting an AGM battery in the cabin or something. I’m not dealing with cold like you are so I’m not as worried about the extra juice for starting, but the ability to run some extra things for a while with the motor off would be nice.

I’ve always loved Toyota timing belts, they really put them together with the idea that they need to be replaced but they definitely make sure they last beyond the replacement interval. Unlike some manufacturers cough cough VW/Audi. Even the v8 engines and v6 engines are straight forward jobs, though on those radiator removal makes things a bit easier.

I’ve been looking for a good battery separator as well for running duel batteries on some vehicles at work. Good to know this exists.

That 1314 jobber feels like it gets most of the job done at a fraction of the price of most dual battery setups. What do the more pricy/complex systems give you that something like this doesn’t?

I mean, it’s a simpler install, at a lower price, that preserves CCA for starting. Assuming you run the house off the secondary all that’s missing is, what, a $20 voltmeter?

Asking for a friend. :wink:

It really is a simple solution.

We have fallen into an arctic air mass the last couple of days, and its expected to last a week. So I went out last evening and put my C-Tek charger (best smart charger everrrrr IMHO) on my main battery. Within seconds my separator solenoid clicked, and the loop was closed. So suddenly I’m charging both batteries. Brilliant.

As an aside, I like to heat the coolant AND charge the battery when it is uber cold. Not necessary but decreases wear and tear on all those expensive bits. And of course when #dieselislife well, certain accommodations must be made. :wink:

1 Like

I’ve come up empty so far in my search for brackets for my ARB bumper find. Put some inquiries out on an Aussie board, so we’ll see what comes out of them. May come down to having something fabbed…?

2 Likes

What do the brackets look like? Might not be too difficult to have them made, there is a company called send cut send where you give them the specs and they can cut it out with a CNC cutter and then mail it to you.

From what I’ve seen, the big-name brands selling the dual battery kits are using a similar style setup but they’re just charging you for the convenience of having the kit assembled, plus the price of the brackets they include. I’ve even seen some kits that include what is basically and old school starter solenoid that you manually activate when engines running to charge both batteries.

2 Likes

Good to know, Rob.

@PajEvo I’m sure you’ll be alright. The Ozzies got their hands full at the moment, but they’re good guys.

You don’t have a part number, correct? I know a couple dudes in Brisbane (one of whom got the shocks for his Mazda Ranger via me some years ago). What, exactly, am I asking them to look for? #worthashot

I don’t have a part number for the brackets. Nor do I have a picture to copy for making my own or farming it out. :frowning:

I do have a part number for the bumper. What I need is the mounting kit…

1 Like

Update on the rad hose heater: minus 30°C this morning. Truck was plugged in for 4 hours. Fired up perfectly normally. Now trying to push the clutch in was another story. And my tires were out of round for the first 3 kms or so…
#prairiewinters

2 Likes

:rofl:

I bet if you DM dirthead_dave or 4xfredwilliams on IG they could get you a contact at ARB to sort it out.

@ChazzLayne you got your ears on, good buddy? Do we know anyone at ARB that could help Phil get this sorted?

I have sent a messagento 4wheelparts, but so far… Nothing. :disappointed:

1 Like

I just requested to connect with a bunch of ARB employees on LinkedIn, if any of them accept I’ll ask them who to contact to get this information.

2 Likes

@PajEvo an ARB employee in Australia said he will try to figure out who you need to talk to about part numbers and a vendor. Do you happen to see a part number on the bumper anywhere?

Are you serious? OMG thank you so much!

The bumper is 3921130.

It’s made for a 96-2002 Toyota Land Cruiser Prado 90.

2 Likes

Extremely kind of you to reach out to them. Thank you very much. Truly. :sunglasses: