Landcruiser 70 series Rust-o-Mod: "OLBETSY ZX"

I’m not seeing the pictures. Is it just me? Is something broken?

It seems like it. I’ve tried a few times to upload the pics. Keeps saying processing? Are you still able to upload?

1 Like

Thanks duder, back in action. Pics added, above.

giphy

Test.

1 Like

@PajEvo sorry, mate. Looks like I missed a checkbox on a software update. I believe it’s working now, but you’ll probably have to reload.

Frustrated Oh No GIF by Australian Open

1 Like

It’s been just over a year now. Hard to believe. This things come a long way so far… And I’m still enjoying the heck out of it!

My wife surprised me with the coolest stover everrrr.
Got six new glow plugs.
And my wee little propane tank arrived.

Soon be time to reveal my camp setup, ver 2.0.

But for now I’m waiting on a resistor to make my secondary afterglow system functional again…

2 Likes

Are those burners mounted to the fold down table or just sitting there? And remind me, what’s the shade/shelter situation over the back? It looks awesome, Phil!

That is a jet-boil genesis. Major splurge, which was why I wouldn’t buy it. LOL.

It folds over on itself, then goes into its own pot, and the whole thing goes into my drawer lickety split. Here’s a shot with the pot still in the drawer. Pot has heat sink/diffuser thingy, lid is frying pan+lid. This thing is awesome!

Nothing over the back yet, and I don’t even have my side awning on yet. The brackets to attach it to the tent are ridiculously expensive, and even though I could rig something up cheaper, the expensive option is super cool and sophisticated. So we’ll see. I am thinking about another 4’ awning over the back. Yeah, I know there are 270s etc, but very heavy, very pricey, and honestly I don’t live in a rainy area so I can go several trips with no cover. Summertime its great for sun but… ? We’ll see.

2 Likes

Looks good! I really like the stove setup. I need to put one of those on our Pajeros.

3 Likes

It looks so cool. I want one too, but man. So expensive.

1 Like

You can get it without the pot set - $349 CDN so lots less in USD. But still lots…
Took the old girl out for her first official wheeling trip Sat past. Pretty fun day!

Here’s another old girl too… can’t believe my “puppy” is 12 1/2 at this point. She’s about 95% blind, but she still had a great day out with the fellas.

3 Likes

Man, I can’t wait to drive my truck again once it’s all back together. Looks wonderful outside.

1 Like

Leaf spring bushings were shorted on my order. And I have mine forcibly removed.
My resistor is somewhere between LA and Vancouver… and floods have taken out the Trans Canada hwy.

Feel like l’ll never get to drive this thing again. :pensive:

1 Like

Frustrated Soda GIF by Parallel_studio_

#thefeels

10 more days have gone by. Still no parts. No resistor. No bushings. No lights.

Floods and pandemic aside, Canada Post has to be the worst govt funded corporation to ever suck up my tax dollars. I can see why going postal is a thing… Except from the outside in. Arggg.

Also. The lights I ordered from gtfo overland aren’t here yet either and the courier says it doesn’t know when they’re coming. “The delivery date will be provided as soon as possible”.

And they wonder why everybody these days orders via Amazon…

Yes. Angst-ridden, emo-post. Sue me. Better yet, sue the post office. :zipper_mouth_face:

Man, what a bummer. Do you really think it’s the post or force majeur? (Or a karmaic test!)

(Says the guy who just ordered $200 worth of seals from three vendors through Amazon and crossed his fingers they arrive as scheduled, Monday, Tuesday, Wednesday—all for the hubs and knuckles.)

1 Like

Its probably the universe getting back at me for selling the Pajevo?

Today 2 shipments are showing in Alberta (one in edmonton, one in calgary, and why I have no idea, since they came through same port of call…) My GTFO shipment is still in limbo, and DHL says they have no date yet, even though it was expected last week. So… 2 steps forward, etc?

Because I can’t do anything else, I’ve begun planning the electrical system, and rethinking my water “system” which really isn’t a system (yet), but may be before too long…

I’m always doing this. Haha. What’s your plan looking like right now? I’m currently thinking about a pair of Blue Sea 6-circuit boxes–one in the driver kick panel, the other back where the factory socket lives. I’ve heard good things about using copper strand jumper cables for the feeds out of the engine bay.

This was a good week for parts. Well, mostly…

Tuesday: Resistor finally came ! Tested as having continuity, so with crossed fingers I bolted it into the intake manifold, started rig, and the smoke quickly dissipated, instead of hanging around in toxic clouds for 15 mins. Yay! Win #1, and proof that sometimes one can get diagnostics correct even when there’s no computer nanny telling you where to look…

Wednesday: Bushings came! (third attempt to get them, and Cruiser Outfitters pulled through). They fit my new longer shackles, so after some grease, and some fiddling with hilift jack, a couple of floor jacks, jackstands, a MITSU bottle jack, and a come-along, I got them in, and bolted up. Woohoo! Truck is now level, and rear shackles allow the spring to smootly rotate around the fixing point. Win #2 (terrible pics, since I dropped my semi-decent phone, and my camera wasn’t nearby).

Also, carwash lighting is harsh. LOL. I promise, it really is mostly level.

Thursday: (today) My order came from GTFO Overland! I’ve been looking forward to getting these - Hard Korr Lighting camp lights. They come with magnets, dimmers, and even an optional set of clips to enable you to clip the lights onto your awning poles, to light up your camp. (sadly, I didn’t receive the pole clips, but GTFO were on it almost instantly, and are sending them out tomorrow). My specific kit came with 4 very compact strips, 2 dimmers and the ability on one pair of strips to have amber light, to reduce bugs… once my package is complete, I’m looking forward to tucking them under my awning, and lighting up camp.

2 Likes

So that brings me to electrical. This is the most complex system I’ve ever had to plan for, because of the truck’s native 24 volt system.

I currently have 2 12v batteries under the hood, wired in series (OEM) to produce 24volts. I also have an AGM battery in the back, (12v) which will power my 12v accessories. So my plan needs to include a way to charge the third battery from a 24v system. This won’t be the usual dual batt separator solenoid. This time around I’ll be using a DC-DC charger, which takes a 24v input and steps it down to 12+ (user variable) volts, which will be perfect for the higher charge demands of an AGM. I’ll also be sending solar down the pipe to the 12v battery as well, via an MPPT solar controller.

Beyond these requirements, I’ll need to power a compressor, the fridge, CB, mobile ham, aux lighting, a water pump, and possibly a 12v mattress heater. LOL.

So my planning right now is centered on how to get power to the back, in and out of the charger, and then getting switched and unswitched 12 volt power (via the 24v ignition), through creative applications of relays and voodoo magic. I love this stuff!!

Also, I’ve spied a water setup that really seems to fit. Front Runner makes a slanted 50L water tank, which tucks behind the back seats, and accounts for the tilt on the rear bench seatback, and uses the space behind the drawers that is otherwise hard to access. Combined with a small RV pump, this would enable me to have pressurized water on demand at the back, in my “kitchen” or water for showers, etc. Its pricey though. 200USD plus shipping, which will end up being a LOT more by the time I get it, between exchange, duty and BIG shipping. So… have to think some more on that one.

2 Likes