Landcruiser 70 series Rust-o-Mod: "OLBETSY ZX"

Camping was great. Allowed me to test kitchen!

2 Likes

Itā€™s hight time to get cracking on electrical.

For startersā€¦
-12v in dash for CB/charging from rear battery made tricky by the fact that I want it switched with ignition. I made this work using a 24volt relay to pass through the 12v source when 24v ignition as powered. That enabled this ā€¦

24 volt socket is now instead a switched 12v socket and meter/thermometer/usb charger is plugged in and reflects state of charge for rear battery.

Former ashtray is now tiny President Bill CB radio, because sometimes itā€™s still the method of comm.

2 Likes

ARB compressor install is done. Ended up buying the q/c. Hose kit from ARB. Worked a beautyā€¦

Airline connects where headlight washer used to reside.

2 Likes

Now Iā€™m back to the back. 24v>12v converter is getting installed so I can finally charge the aux batt.

Itā€™s a tight space so itā€™s taking some rearranging to get it right,ā€¦

2 Likes

Dude. Youā€™ve been busy! Looks like a lot of fun.

Iā€™m itching to get back to Fezzik and get off road. Time is slipping away and work is beating me up.

1 Like

Phase 1 complete!

LHS is 24>12 converter. 24v fuse panel on the deck. 12v fuse panel on RHS. Here it is with cover panelā€¦

Switch panel: Right rocker activates the LEDs along with the two sockets and voltmeter. The others are idle for the time being.

2 Likes

I am sincerely jealous of your wiring space. Those neat little cable runs look so clean. I love it.

In fact, if there was one automotive project I want to do more than anything else one day, itā€™s a clean slate wire harness. Thereā€™s a parallel universe where Iā€™m one of those guys doing ridiculous, mil-spec harnesses.

1 Like

Thanks buddy. I feel like it could be neater, but itā€™s coming along. Originally I had the 24-12 converter on the deck in the center but there was too little room for the hookups and I was afraid they would be under too much strain. One bonus now is that I can access the pot that allows me to adjust the output voltage under load to optimize it for AGM battery charging.

I had a few fellas over last night for a garage party and my beer was in the truck fridge (to leave more room in garage fridge). It was super handy to be able to monitor the voltmeter from the back.

Also, I started it up for the first time in three weeks yesterday, and there were zero dramas, so I must have solved those pesky air/fuel leaks. Excellent!

1 Like

Mounted my extinguisher on LHS back door. Didnā€™t like drilling the sheet metal but a nutsert wonā€™t hurt, esp if I need to put out a fire. :crazy_face:

1 Like

I like the extinguisher mount. I have an Element extinguisher to mount there thatā€™s stuffed in my glovebox these days. (Iā€™ve never had a traditional extinguisher that wasnā€™t dead when you checked it.) The Elements seem like a better idea.

Agreed element is a great choice. Iā€™ll likely get one eventually. This one on the back door is because Iā€™m cooking with gas back there. So having an extinguisher literally backing me up seems a good idea. :joy:

We did a little picnic in the park yesterday. I made coffee. Getting used to where things are and changing where I put things, every time I use it to get it dialled.

1 Like

So Banff, then? :stuck_out_tongue:

Looks like a good time. Iā€™m looking forward to getting somewhere like that. The dream has always been a setup I can deploy inside of five minutes. I mean, it goes all the way back to my Delica dream. Roll up to a good spot, pop the hatch and the awning, and be sitting on the front porch with a drink in-hand inside five minutes.

Still running well? Looking forward to spring?

Iā€™d say itā€™s under 3mins but yeah. Exactly like that.

Itā€™s still running like a top. In cold cold temps I get about 10 secs of white smoke then it clears and smooth sailing. When itā€™s warm it just goes with no smoke.

This thing I must say feels more and more long termer.

If it wasnā€™t for the risk of parts, etc Iā€™d be happy to drive it everyday I think?

But Iā€™ve started planning for a possible USA incursion this summer. Lolā€¦

Anyone going to be near the PNW overland expo this July? Iā€™m giving it a good hard look. Prefaced by the Montana and Idaho BDR routes? Ooooh boyā€¦

1 Like

My April Grand Canyon plans are canceled, but I find myself thinking about Moab in May.

If not this year, next year, Phil. I want to see Banff, and Iā€™m sure thereā€™s something between you and Chicago worth exploring together. :wink:

1 Like

When do you actually hit the road in summer? Likeā€¦ Really hit the road jack, etc?

We shall do Banff. For sure. But donā€™t forget Waterton. AND Jasper. I prefer both to Banff for the simple reason theyā€™re quieter. Donā€™t get me wrong. Do Banff. But while youā€™re up hereā€¦ :star_struck:

1 Like

Not 100% nailed down yet. P has a dance recital on 6/17, so we canā€™t leave before then, but we should be mostly packed by then. Crazy home improvements going on right now. (I should update build threads.)

Electrical port now installed on the port side of the rig. Used a minimalist SAE socket, but with 10 AWG backing it up inside, with a plan of powering temporary lights on the outside and lights inside the RTT, for starters.

2 Likes

Thatā€™s excellent. Iā€™d like a weatherproof, external socket or two, myself. Something topside for roof mounted accessories, but also at the rear for similar.

10awg is pretty stout!

Routing wire to the roof is a challenge, but if you have a snorkel its way easier!

I got an SAE adapter yesterday so now I can power two circuitsā€¦ One will run into the tent, while the other powers lights off the side.

You had me looking at snorkels, man. Haha.

Iā€™m still planning on pulling the interior and headliner here pretty soon to noico all the things and run power where I want it up top. Just gonna pre-wire as much as I can while itā€™s all out. (Maybe run some small PVC conduit? I dunno.)