Landcruiser 70 series Rust-o-Mod: "OLBETSY ZX"

Aw, man. Balls.

Ryan Reynolds Seriously GIF by The Hitman's Wife's Bodyguard

You’ve done injectors, right? I don’t know much about diesels, but from what I gather in a quick google, if you’re sorted to the engine bay, it’s timing, injectors, or *rings *

Here We Go Eye Roll GIF

dumb and dumber cane GIF

I’ve done injectors. I’ve done glowplugs. But still. I don’t take my own advice.

Blockquote
Whether you say it in Japanese, ‘ shin-shou-bou-dai’ , or in English, it amounts to the same thing: You imagine the worst when it comes to a mechanical problem, especially when it comes to that JDM vehicle you just took a chance on importing. Such is life when you are your own mechanic, or even armchair quarterback. In your mind’s eye, oil leaks morph into monsoons. Funny noises signal “For Whom the Bell Tolls”. Mystery starting problems are Orwellian in their conspiracies. We’ve all fallen into this pitfall, some of us multiple times, and yet, when the next problem crops up, we drive our significant others crazy with dour prophecies of long frustrating nights in the garage ultimately leading to financial ruin.

I checked my batteries today before I dove back in. They look pretty low. Like just over 20V combined. That’s bad. This truck came with L/A batts, which I haven’t bought in about 12 years or more, so I never thought about checking water levels etc. They were ALL down on electrolyte. Just topped em up and am waiting for them to equalize so I can try to bring them back via C-TEK. (12v batts tend to read higher for a while after disconnecting them from series).

Overall, this could be very very good news. Well, except for having to spring giant cash for a pair of AGM’s. But we’ll see…

1 Like

Oh man! How does the low voltage connect to white smoke? Cooler glow plugs until up to temp? (I thought they went out immediately after ignition.) Would this also cause that stumbling at 2k?

And a couple AGM starting batteries would fetch a premium in the middle of a global pandemic and supply chain disruption, wouldn’t they, Ted? (Lol.)

Even so, I’ll take $400 in batteries over an engine rebuild any day. Fingers crossed for you, buddy!

1 Like

Glow system actually cycles for up to 120 seconds. But a 6 second poor primary glow off the top gets it all going smoky…

Suspecting my voltmeter now, because needle small etc. New 9v batt for it first. Sigh. Tomorrow…

Looks like 600 or so if batteries are necessary. :canada:

Nope! The battery in the multimeter was the culprit. At least I performed some maintenance on the batteries.

And I replaced a short fuel line that looked suspect right at the filter. Topping up the batteries separately right now, unhooked, (because 24v is looking for?) and the temps dropped again to -20 something. Gonna warm up tomorrow or the next day, and I’ll give her another go.

On the plus side? I’ll probably never run out of things to try… Wait. Maybe that’s a minus? And maybe my standards are too high?

Nah…

All our hell-freezes-over base are belong to you.

And batteries in the multimeter. Wow. How long did it take you to get there? I think my meter just dies, but it only gets used a couple times a year. Maybe I missed the whole acting up phase of the death spiral.

Speaking of, remind me, dude. Are we chasing something critical or mildly infuriating?

Chasing white smoke on cold start, accompanied by slightly rough idle for a minute or two. It can be better. It WILL be better.

Batteries low in multimeter can read all kinds of crazy. My batts were showing 17v. Cray cray.

Cold. Damnitohellfreezesover

1 Like

Fixed. Advanced the timing past spec. Also some more rubber lines replaced.

Damn this thing sounds mean. Arg Arg. That’s a product of timing advance. And big inline diesel. Lol.

My ARB compressor arrived!

And did some more out back. Compartments are getting covered.

2 Likes

Fixed? By advancing timing beyond spec?

Rad.

And I can’t even see the compressor in the back. Job well done, mate! Just in time for spring thaw.

Yep. Timing advance was the magic pill/bullet. Lol.

Compressor is in box. Cardboard box. Not installed yet. It’s going under hood, and is the rare 24v model. Single piston because pricey shouldn’t mean kidney sales…

I showed the back because of the carpeted panels on either side of the drawers. Things are starting to look intentionally level back there.

1 Like

It’s looking so good dude. Kudos!

1 Like

Took her to work on Thursday. No rattles from the back. No noise from awning. So far so good!

2 Likes

So, back to fun stuff! Moving to the front for a change. After being back ordered since boxing day, my new compressor finally arrived.

2 Likes

Very nice! Man, I am just itching to find some dirt. I haven’t driven Fezzik in four days while we had the Outlander. Ironically, all the best dirt roads I know in the forest down here are closed due to snow.

#soon

Are you gonna do the 4-at-once line setup or what?

I already have a 2-way air system. I find 4 gets cumbersome to carry/stow.

Today I made more progress.

Undecided on a quick connect. And still need to wire it up, but getting closer.

Also had speedo apart to sort jumpy needle and grumble in the cold. Lubed worm gears, general de-dusting,. And pulled speedo cable out of sheath to clean/lube.

1 Like

Ha! I read your battery gauge as “32 valve”.

The big rumbler is still rumbling well, then? Also, I saw something about truckers and protests up there. Any traffic changes on the commute?

Hasn’t affected me, but I’m glad I’m not trying to cross the border right now. Ironic that a “freedom convoy” is impinging on people’s freedoms. Also interesting that these protests are happening after restrictions have started to be relaxed anyways.

While I had the cluster apart, I replaced a few bulbs behind. Much better!

2 Likes

Took it to work twice this week. Starting to get some confidence in it, and I think I’m pretty close to the timing sweet spot for 1100m of altitude…

Also the speedo seems happy with my recent cleaning and oiling of the cable. No more bouncing, rumbling and bending around the stop peg at 180kmh.

Going camping tomorrow!

Why their registrations and commercial licenses weren’t revoked on the spot is beyond me. It’s disgusting, but I’ve decided I’m not playing anymore. I’ll show up and do my part at the box, but it’s time to stop caring about the whole and make sure I’m effective at home.

Glad to hear it’s running so much better! Looking good!

1 Like