Landcruiser 70 series Rust-o-Mod: "OLBETSY ZX"

Thanks @sealer. This is the first jdm I’ve bought that wasn’t close to 100k kms, and in really good shape to start. I had to lower my expectations and standards to reach this one. They ain’t getting cheaper. But I also needed a project to keep me interested. I’ve been turning over really sweet rigs with alarming frequency the last few years. My wife was the one who first observed that I “Needed a project”. LOL.

This is a big one.

I now have two sheets of 2x4 sheet steel as well as a box full of cutting discs, flap discs and shaping dollies sitting in boxes here in my office. And I’m determined to learn how to do bodywork. Even planning to finally get that little mig going too! Lots of work ahead. Or rather… PLAY.

4 Likes

First of two orders came yesterday.

From the UAE: new RHS sun visor, rear interior grille vents, interior window trim for driver’s side door, 2 dome light lenses, 1 new drivers side rear fender flare, new pedal pads for clutch and brake… All sorts of misc bits, all available brand new!

Still coming from Japan: all new hangers and hardware to secure the flares.

I have enough parts now to keep me busy for a while.

3 Likes

YES!

r/unexpectedmandalorian

2 Likes

4 Likes

The good times. They are coming.

I also liked the picture of Betsy ZX in the lights. Very festive! I’ll be installing lights inside Fezzik in the next couple weeks. Woot!

1 Like

Interior bits first:

Visor replacement:

Old one was difficult to release from its clip, and was quite loose. Still a bit shocked I could buy brand new!

New pedal rubbers on brake and clutch.

New hood prop stay

New window channel inner rubber, drivers door:

New dome light diffusers:

3 Likes

Once that was all completed, and truth be told the window rubber was a pain, involving door card removal, it was on to even more pain: removing the front lower fenders.

It was much more involved than I had anticipated. By the time I was done making room, I had removed the airbox, fuel filter housing, windshield wash jug, both batteries, and a few other things that I hopefully remember to reinstall.

Then it was time to access the bolts from under the hood, through small holes in the inner fenders. My hands aren’t small. They paid the price in scratches that a cat would be bragging about.

Plus some of the bolts snapped. And then I realized that I needed to pull the running boards for access… Arggg…

After a lot of extensions, wrench combinations, and some colloquial language, I got them off both sides. They were quite rusty so it was worth the effort.

The inner wheel wells had some surface rust, but nothing major. I’ll clean em up and put some POR15 on them and never worry about them again. Meanwhile, I need to order some new hardware (speed nuts etc) and some new trim rubber that goes between upper and lower fenders.

Because I’m a sucker for punishment, I started on the rear quarters that have me up at night thinking about what to do with them.

But I’ll save that for another update. Let’s just say for now that my truck is lighter than it was before?

3 Likes

This is such a joy to watch.

2 Likes

Wow, dude. That’s involved. All worth it in the end when you’re driving around a good-as-new machine and don’t have to worry about “little things” like that becoming big problems.

I feel like we should start calling the stockiest, toughest machine on the forum “The Unit”.

1 Like

Bahahah. I’ve got a long way to go Lemme tell ya. Here’s a sneak peek of what keeps me up at night.

I’m holding the piece I cut out just below the hole.

Now bear in mind: this is the “good side”. :scream:

2 Likes

Ew.

To be fair, I noticed some more rust inside my doors this weekend as I was applying the Noico. Nothing anywhere near that, but still. Gave me pause. I covered a lot of it with rubber and foil. :stuck_out_tongue:

1 Like

Wheel wells are in great shape. Some surface rust but solid underneath. Hit it with a flap disc last evening…

and despite getting dust everywhere, I got down to bare metal quickly. Just need to wipe down the “rust dust” and then paint, before installing my factory fresh new fenders.

3 Likes

It is amazing just how many “factory fresh” parts one can still get for this beast. I have to ask - do they come at a “factory fresh” price point? Because the parts are theoretically limited in their availability, are the prices higher than one would expect?

I ask because I’m at the very early of researching another project vehicle, and weighing options.

2 Likes

Honestly, I don’t feel like I’m paying a premium. Window gasket was 20 bucks. New visor was 30. Brand new fender flare (rear section) was a little more, at $110… but that didn’t feel unreasonable. Obviously it’ll depend on the vehicle, but I haven’t felt like it’s costing me any more than any other vehicle, vintage or not.

3 Likes

Those prices actually sound remarkably fair, on the verge of inexpensive.

2 Likes

Maybe the cost of the truck keeps demand steady?

2 Likes

Actually I think a lot of it comes from the fact that the truck has hardly changed. Much of what fits mine worked all the way from 84 to 2007… and some of that stuff still fits the present day truck.

I meant it in the literal sense when I said “they still make em like they used to”.

Meanwhile. An update:
I’ve decided the direction I’m going with the bodywork. I’m going to panel bond my new replacement metal with special high tech adhesives. Several of my friends have done this with good success. And you are able to avoid the difficulty of not being able to rustproof the interior sides of panels, etc, plus you avoid warpage. I’m thinking about this one…

2 Likes

Make sure you confirm the minimum cure temp, 6 hours room temp may become never quite right at much colder, not sure how heated your garage is.

1 Like

Yep - it’s one of the things I need to check on for sure. I can heat the space to a certain temp, given enough time, but it depends on outside ambient. Otherwise I may need to borrow heated space for a day or two to get it done. Or possibly local area heating with a heat gun…

2 Likes

Well, I haven’t done anything to make actual progress, but I am progressing, sort of.

Another parts order came… A bag of bolts and hangers painstakingly picked out to hang my fender flares. Eventually.

And more tools coming… Ordered some evaporust, a couple of pairs of vise grips c clamp pliers, and… A modest sheet metal brake. I also got myself a fancy body hammer.

So. That leaves the garage. There may need to be an update to Phil’s neverending garage build soon. :innocent::face_with_hand_over_mouth:

2 Likes