Landcruiser 70 series Rust-o-Mod: "OLBETSY ZX"

These sound like magic elixirs, Phil. How come a bottle or two of this stuff shows such remarkable and immediate results? Are diesels easier to clean or something? I would think they’d be harder to clean.

Its a pretty simple setup: fuel tank, filter, fuel lines, injection pump, six injectors. Not direct injection, so no super ridiculous injector pressures… and in doing this flush, I skip most of this stuff. One hose goes direct into the injection pump. The other goes on the other end and brings the excess back into the loop again, so its pure cleaner, no fuel dilution whatsoever. The truck runs only on Diesel Purge for 15 or 20 minutes, so a very concentrated cleaning.

And I’d imagine the more cleaning that is necessary, the more evident the results? This truck sat and sat, the last five years or so, so I’m guessing the injectors weren’t squeaky clean. Ultimately, I could end up having them rebuilt, or replacing them altogether, but that’s 150/each x6 , and the purge seems to have done the job for now, so we’ll see?

Thermocure is also supposed to be a magic elixir, so I’m looking forward to getting it flowing through my water jacket. I would’ve done it already, but it needs to be run in the truck for a few days, and offers no freeze protection. Up until recently that would’ve been risky, but suddenly it’s WARM! We are going to possibly hit 32C today (~90F), which may be some kinda record for early June.

2 Likes

So how does the AC work? :wink:

Sounds like good stuff. I’d like to know I’ve got cleaned/balanced injectors too. Probably gonna add that to my list for next timing belt job. (I feel like 300k is going to be here sooner than I think with all the trips I’ve got in mind.)

Yeah A/C is currently persona non grata. Haven’t gotten to it yet so I have no idea how much “attention” it’s wanting, yet.

But meanwhile… moving away from maintenance for a minute, a package arrived today…

At long last I have myself a tailgate table. After agonizing over which one to buy, or even building my own, I ponied up for the Frontrunner drop down table. Two things really stood out on this model…
-the slide out undershelf
-the HD brackets to hold the table in lieu of cables

I’ll install it soon, but my thus far in-box examination says it’s a worthy addition!

1 Like

EGT! It’s in. Tapped a hole in the downpipe, “before turbo”. Get it? Before tur… Nevermind. Kissing face with closed eyes :kissing_closed_eyes:

Tapped a hole, carefully threaded the NPT bung into my NF hole. (Pretty sure there’s a smart alecky comment there somewhere, but I’ll take the high road). Routed the harness through a firewall grommet.

Found some power, some earth, and reminded myself 5 times that the thermo couple wanted red on the negative, NOT the positive (on the auber unit).

Then I wrapped the wires to make it a little less raw on top of the steering column, hooked up all the wires, fixed the red wire that I STILL put on the positive terminal (LOL) and gave it some juice.

I’m assuming it must be a good connection, because it immediately queried my ECU and recognized that it was a 77 chassis. Displayed the number right away.

Now just need to get it out for a good drive and see what ridiculously high temps I was blissfully unaware of, previously. If they go too high then I’ll change it to Celsius to bring them down. See? I know stuff…?

2 Likes

Annnnd… I just dropped a grand on 6 new injectors. Ouch.

2 Likes

GEEEEEZZZZZ

I always loved the idea of an rb26 powered 240Z, but then I read a blog post of a guy who had one, and he said the AVERAGE cost of a major repair on the motor was $10K…

Cured me of that desire right quick.

Same reason Im really hesitant to want to import an isuzu diesel engine from Japan for the trooper…

1 Like

Diesel injectors are a wear item. There are places that can rebuild em, but for a little more I just figured what the heck. I needed six of them too, not just four.

Honestly, a grand for six injectors is actually pretty good. Direct injection style injectors are usually way more.

Parts on this rig have been, on average, the same as what I was used to in my mitsus. And even more available…

2 Likes

Not gonna lie, until your reply, I had misread it as “6 grand on injectors”, not “a grand on six injectors”

:sweat_smile:

2 Likes

How do you know the old injectors need replaced? Just age? EGT tuning not going as planned?

1 Like

Egt’s are high. Injectors are old. Above a certain rpm the clatter sound changes. Lots of smoke. Not great power output. All things that point to injectors.

I’ve had rebuilds before but I’d be close to the same price and instead I’ll get brand spankers. Should improve the performance a lot.

1 Like

New injectors are in and I’ve put about 500kms or so on them. Absolutely different truck.

Less smoke. Less clatter. More power. Less downshifting. Better fuel econ.

It’s a win win win.

Before I placed the order I checked with the previous owner. He told me in a nutshell not to waste my money on new injectors. He ended off this way:

“They all smoke. It’s normal”.

Yeah well. I guess everyone has a different view on what they’re willing to accept as normal.

3 Likes

Took her out on an adventure with my brother and the dawgs. Towed without drama.

Made a baseplate of 3/4 ply.

Installed a dropdown table.

And finally, after much debate… Painted the flares satin rubberized black, to cover the peeling clear coat. Much better…

Getting there…

3 Likes

Dude. She looks excellent!

2 Likes

Thanks buddy! She certainly is making progress. Today I used the last of my por15 (right down to the last drop) to do some tiny touch ups here and there, using a tiny brush and in some cases the end of a skewer.

Some visible places needed to be silver once the por15 dried, so I top coated with what I had left in a factory color matched can…

And then… Before I knew it I was temporarily masking with Scott towels and broadcasting my diminishing rattle can over the recently sanded hood! I had wetsanded some of the peeling clear a week or two ago, but today I just started spraying. Lol. The hood is still a patina display, for sure, but most of the peel was either feathered in with the sanding or now invisible under my dust coat.

It’s patina that I can live with for now. Looks weathered, yep. But not neglected, which was how it looked previously, if that makes any sense?

Going on a little trip tomorrow so sunlight pics but for now… Preview:

2 Likes

Nice! I can’t even tell what you covered up in that picture.

And damn, those side markers are chonky. Wow.

1 Like

So my dad and mom are here for two weeks. Dad saw all three vehicles for the first time (what can I say… It’s been a busy two years).

First thing he noticed was that the new ARB looked “bare”. So he immediately instructed me to get lights. Lol. He paid. Have to keep him happy… New hella 500s inbound.

1 Like

NICE!

Looking forward to the install.

1 Like

Due to the magic of Amazon, they arrived today. These are not your old 500s, of which I had at least 3 pairs over the years. Nope. These are led, heavy, metal, substantial lights with small DRL type lights at the bottom as well, controlled by the (included) three way switch.

These are special for me because in addition to being hella 500s, they are rated to run on 12-30 volts! This is important when your electrical system is in fact, 24v!

So included was the wiring harness (complete, from switch to lights) the lights, and large fasteners (look to be SS) to keep things from rattling loose. The only thing I overlooked was the fact that most would be using them as 12v lights, and therefore the relays are… You guessed it! 12v!

So now I’m waiting for my new 24 v relays.

3 Likes

Added some yellow covers.

3 Likes