Stormy the isuzu trooper - way too much money and effort

No I’m talking crate Cummins. Crate Cummins is no problem at all. Plug it in and go. Newer diesel would be fine as well. I just need the whole harness including ecu so I can have obdii functionality

1 Like

Yes. Yes yes yes. Camaro who?

1 Like

These are years off, but Brian broached the question so…

1 Like

Are you talking about the R2.8? It’s a bit pricey but it’s also one of the best engine swaps I’ve seen. Excellent fuel mileage, good power and Cummins reliability.

I like the Camaro turbo 4 idea too, I wouldn’t worry too much about overheating. Jeep uses a similar engine in the Wrangler and I haven’t heard anything bad about them. Like @PajEvo pointed out there are ways to keep things cool, you could be cool like the first STi we got in the states and rig up and intercooler sprayer.

I like GMs V6 that they also offer in the Camaro and everything else they build really. The late model engines have the exhaust manifold integrated into the head which makes it easier to package in foreign engine bays. Plus, Colorados appear to go pretty cheap at CoPart auctions, you might even get lucky and find a diesel Colorado. You could even go a step further and utilize the 8 (6 in the diesel) speed auto and transfer case. That might be a bit much though.

1 Like

Yeah, r2.8.

The camaro four is the ltg, and it’s a really cool little engine.

Power and torque numbers are right in the range I want:

And LOOK AT THAT TORQUE CURVE:
13_ltg_2-0l_turbo_ats-e1341981397175

Full torque at like 1700 rpm!

First day commuting with the new AC. It works great when I’m moving at least 45. Not so much sitting still. I don’t have any freeway drive on my commute…
I’m thinking I’ll add a 12" pusher fan in front of the condensor…
I’m swapping the spal fan in next week. Hopefully that helps too, I’ve been pretty underwhelmed by the flexalite.

2 Likes

With a torque curve like that who needs a diesel. I definitely dig your engine choices though. Also, turbo noises are always fun.

I’m surprised there isn’t an auxiliary electric fan for when the A/C is in us. It would be beneficial to have the 12 inch pusher fan turn on when the A/C is being used if that may have been your plan already though.

2 Likes

Yeah I’ll run a relay from the same signal that turns on the AC clutch.

Troopers never had a second fan, but Amigo and rodeo did. :man_shrugging:t3:

1 Like

Yeah that’s weird. Every car I’ve owned in the last 20 years–except the 89 Montero–has had a secondary fan that comes on with the AC button.

1 Like

Yours didn’t @Brian? Huh. My three gen1’s all had secondary a/c fans. I think it’s a must have.

2 Likes

My 91 4runner also did not have an auxiliary fan on the condensor, mechanical fan only.

Well the internet has corrected me, some troopers came with an auxiliary fan, and there is a connector already wired to that spot on my car. Oem fan looks too tall to clear my winch so I’ll get an aftermarket one and wire in a different connector.

2 Likes

I think it’ll make a big difference.

1 Like

This is the fan I’m going to use

880 cfm in a 10 inch fan that should fit behind the winch on the upper passenger corner. Hopefully it does the job

1 Like

That looks like a solid plan, dude.

And there’s probably a real good chance Rocínante had a second fan. I don’t recall, but I don’t remember ever noticing it, either.

1 Like

I ordered some new toys for a science experiment. While I swap the new fans in I’m going to pull the radiator to do the job, and I’m going to do a test.

I’ll use the power supply and inductive clamp meter to measure electric power going to the fan, then use the tachometer to calculate RPM, and I can back calculate torque. This way I can compare the two fans for torque. I’ll add a hole in the shroud for the manometer to connect to that way I can see which fan makes more pressure. I was pretty close to buying an anemometer to measure air speed and calculate CFM, but I couldn’t justify another $40 for the science experiment, my current experiment will tell me which fan is better, the anemometer would tell me how much better.

3 Likes

Ooh. This is gonna be good.

1 Like

Got two small projects done today.

When I installed the winch I was in a bit of a hurry and didn’t add in these connectors I bought so today finally got those in. The one set is hard mounted to the car, I need to add a pin for the other one to hold it in place once I have the bumper back in.

I’ve been wanting to trim the bumper cover for a while but wasn’t sure exactly what to do. Today I just decided to try this I might end up trimming a little more, I can’t get a really good look right now with the rig in the garage, i’ll get a good look in a few weeks and then decide if I want to be more aggressive.

3 Likes

I love the DIY vibes. It’s so easy to just throw parts at things these days. There’s something refreshing about shade tree mods like these. Kudos!

1 Like

If I could realistically make my own engine and transmission I would.

Making things myself gets me out of bed early to work on my car.

1 Like