Fezzik: Life Begins at 200K

Okay so according to my digging, you appear to have the MR111095. This is a 27 tooth gear.

The earlier Gen2s, which iirc had deeper diff gears all seem to have 28 tooth speedo gears… MR111096

Does this help?

3 Likes

I want to know more about the LEDs I heard you installed in the dash. err @BradD installed :slight_smile:

VERY helpful. Thank you!

@racedinanger the compass takes 2 “T4 Neo Wedge 4mm” LEDs. They are switched on/off with the key, not the switch.

If you’d like to get jiggy with it, Google gen 2.5 Montero led expedition portal. There’s a dedicated thread with ALL the LEDs. It’s kind of the gen 2 LED bible.

E: Added link to ExPo thread

But what color did you use and how do they look?

1 Like

I used red in the dash pod. There’s 3 bulbs in it; 2 x T4 in the compass and 1 x T10 between the other two gauges.

It looks like this:

Here’s a close-up. The red plays a little weird with Night Sight.

E: I thought I had LEDs in the main cluster but maybe not. The HVAC is all OE and looks the same.

Here’s the night view with the door open.

And here’s the same view with the driver’s side map light (LED) on.

And here’s a glamour shot tease…

4 Likes

Looking great, Brian!

2 Likes

When I think back to the sorry state after the rear ender… I wasn’t sure you were even gonna keep her. And now: here we are. Nicely done sir. Glad you stuck with it.

3 Likes

Thank you, gentlemen. Don’t tell anyone, but I’m starting to feel like a real gearhead again. I love my truck!

Just wrapped a call with the Phoenix Automotive Press Association and thought, “I can stay up another half hour to install and aim the new lights…”

Headlights alone…

Headlights and Diode Dynamics SS3 Sport fog lights…

Which reminded me, I should take new comparison shots with ALL the lights.

Headlights alone…

Headlights and fogs…

Headlights, fog lights, and the SS18 light bar (with driving-flood-driving lenses)…

And, finally, detail shot of the SAE fog beam with the headlights.

I really wanna run the fogs WITHOUT the headlights, but I’ve gone in circles with the wire diagrams.

It feels like all I need to do is run a wire from the hot side of the tail lights fuse to the hot side of the fog lights fuse, but I can’t find the fog light fuse.

What if I jumped the hot side of the parking light SWITCH to the hot side of the fog light BUTTON? That would still energize the fog light relay, right? Maybe I’m going about this all wrong…

5 Likes

Dang, that light set up is LEGIT. Seriously looks so good man!

2 Likes

Brian…love it man! The lighting is on point!

Love the upgrades, the ADD bumper looks just right too.

3 Likes

Thanks, guys! I’m loving it so so far.

Just a couple smaller details left to sort, but I’ve got to get this thread updated properly before I go!

2 Likes

I dislike LED lights as a general rule. The pure aesthetic of old halogens is just my speed. But man, cannot argue with that light output!

Glad you feel like a gearhead again. When you get back into town, lets keep that flame burning and take on more and more projects.

2 Likes

Totally, man. Things should start ramping up once we all get vaccinated.

The lights in the thickest fog I’ve ever seen in NE Colorado…

And here, on a snowy Iowa evening…

Definitely need to get them setup independent of the headlights and high beams when I get back.

2 Likes

Yeah I wan’t LEDs that look orange in the Dash like an early 2nd Gen truck or 1st Gen DSM.

Damn those headlights are bright, I just have Silver star or similar in mine.

2 Likes

That would be cool.

I’m running Osram Night Breaker halogen low beams and Diode Dynamics SS3 Sport pods with SAE fog lenses.

Pictures used Android Night Vision for longer exposure and post processing.

4,649 miles later, Fezzik’s home.

And STILL no CEL.

4 Likes

Congrats buddy! Since we couldn’t go anywhere, I travelled vicariously via Fezz! Great work! That’s proof of roadworthiness if there ever was such a thing!

3 Likes

Man, that’s awesome, here’s to fezzik!

1 Like

Now what?

It had been SO long since my last multi-day road trip. V and I drove from London to ElbeTreffen outside Berlin in 2012. That was two days drive each way. Before that, it was maybe 2009 when we drove to Kansas City for Xmas, another two-day drive each way. Beyond those two, I can’t remember the last time I had a multi-day road trip.

Fezzik performed admirably. No check engine or warning lights—they all work, let me assure you—no issues beyond simple character traits of a 20-year old machine. The drive to and from Iowa City was relatively easy. Weather and road conditions were excellent, with Mother Nature saving the epic snow storm for Xmas.

Some interesting, Fezzik-related takeaways while they’re still fresh in my mind:

• Fuel system & economy. I get poor fuel economy. And now I smell fuel. Hmmm…
  • 31" BFG AT2s will not stay balanced. Gotta figure out new setup. Thinking “skinnies”.
  • Brakes need attention. ABS engages randomly in parking situations. Add braided lines.
  • PS system needs professional attention. I’m tired of noise and dodgy slow-speed action.
  • I should get the LCA/UCA bushings sorted before it gets hot. (Have donor LCAs, now.)
  • Gotta get the leaky trans cooler line sorted.
  • I love Mister Shake, but I’d rather have a reasonably accurate speedometer.

(Actually doing about 83mph, here.)

Future ‘BIG MODS’ may include:

• I’m going to do a LOT more Noico installation. Quiet cabins deliver refreshed peeps.
  • While the headliner’s out—for Noico & moon roof service—I’ll be installing fiber. :alien:
  • And I gotta get more comfortable, heated front seats. Open to suggestions.
  • Rock sliders are definitely in my future. Complete armor is very ck-ck.
  • But I’m also thinking about them fancy, Australian headers…

The best is yet to come!

3 Likes

I think headers are a waste in this application. In both time and money. Its not a simple swap and then you also may have issues come smog time. The tires, I would just run, unless you have another multi day trip planned until you need new ones.
Reliability/Comfort/Fun stuff, in that order. The abs issue and leak would be my number one and two fixes for sure.

2 Likes